Athletic Director Position Available
Application Deadline January 14, 2019
STATEMENT OF MISSION:
Jesuit High School of Sacramento is a Roman Catholic college preparatory dedicated to forming competent young men into conscientious leaders in compassionate service to others for the greater glory of God.
The Director of Athletics at Jesuit High School is responsible for promoting the Mission of the school through effective leadership and administration of the school’s interscholastic and club athletic programs. The position is delegated responsibility by the Principal and is directly accountable to the Assistant Principal for Instruction and Student Life. The Athletic Director will lead this department in a manner consistent with Jesuit’s Statement of Athletic Philosophy that states in part, “The interscholastic athletic program is an integral part of the total education and growth experience at Jesuit High School. It provides an environment where the student may develop and refine athletic skills, test those skills through suitable competition and develop leadership and sportsmanship.” The Athletic Director supervises two assistant athletic directors, the athletic coaching staff, the administrative assistant for athletics, the strength and conditioning coach, and the athletic trainers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Oversight of the Athletic Department
- Supervises one or two assistant athletic directors, the athletic coaching staff, the administrative assistant for athletics, the strength and conditioning coach, and the athletic trainers.
- Oversees the coach evaluation process and assignment of all coaches
- Recruits and assists in the hiring of athletic department staff, coaches, and athletic trainers
- Ensures that all coaches have appropriate experience, expertise, and relevant certification in their sport
- Provides ongoing formation for coaches in the areas of Ignatian identity and coaches’ workshops and clinics
- Responsible for the development, submission, and supervision of the athletic budget
- Administers player evaluation of coaches for each sport at regular intervals
- Ensures the effective use of Final Forms, the school’s online student-athlete data management system
- Promotes professional development of all athletic program staff
- Purchases and distributes athletic awards, and coordinates athletic banquets
- Revises the Athletic Handbooks annually
- Collaborates with each Head Varsity Coach to ensure that programs are vertically aligned and that lower level coaches receive appropriate support and guidance
- In consultation with the Head Varsity Coach of each sport, hires all lower level and assistant coaches and evaluates them on a yearly basis
- Advises the Principal regarding the hiring and evaluation of all Head Varsity Coaches
Schedule and Manage Athletic Events
- Assists the coaches in making all athletic schedules
- Attends all meeting of the Master Calendar Committee and provides accurate and updated athletic schedules for the following year
- Ensures that all schedule changes are properly communicated and updated
- Attends or assigns attendance to athletic events as required by the school, league, or CIF and coordinates administrative supervision
- Approves transportation requests and arranges outside transportation when needed
Manage Facilities and Equipment
- Responsible for the proper use of all athletic equipment and facilities, and assures that all students are properly supervised when using equipment or facilities
- Oversees proper equipment and uniform distribution, use, collection, maintenance, and storage
- Arranges appropriate security services when needed at home contests
- Communicates all athletic building, grounds, and maintenance needs and safety hazards to the Plant Manager and Assistant Principal for Instruction and Student Life
Ensures Compliance with CIF and School Policies and Procedures
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for coaches, athletic department staff, students, and parents
- Responsible for ensuring that athletic practices meet department standards and requirements
- Conducts regularly scheduled coaches’ meetings, and conducts annual in-service for all coaches on athletic policies, league and CIF rules, and school and athletic policies
- Schedules pre-season individual coach’s meetings to set goals, discuss athletic policies, legal issues, safety training, and school and athletic philosophy
- Oversees all aspects of spectator management
- Monitors and certifies student eligibility: academic, medical, parental consent, transfer rules, amateur status, and personal conduct
- Comply with legal policies at the local, state, and national level
Communicate with all Entities Critical to the Athletic Program
- Works with the Advancement, Communication, and Alumni Offices for outreach, donor development, and promotion including the maintenance of the athletic presence on the website.
- Represents the school at league meetings, appropriate section meetings, and at all athletics-related meetings
- Attends athletic banquets, Open House, Family Welcome, and any other events deemed necessary by the Principal or designee
- Coordinates regular and timely communication with students, parents, coaches, teachers, administrators
- In coordination with the Counseling Department and each Head Coach, provides appropriate oversight and support of students to ensure proper balance between athletic participation and academic achievement.
- In coordination with varsity coaches, supports students and families in the college recruitment process.
- Cultivates ongoing communication between coaches within the department to ensure collegial relationships and a common concern for each student athlete’s overall well-being
- Facilitates appropriate levels of communication between coaches and parents
- In collaboration with the Head Varsity Coach of each sport, coordinates the activities of team parents
College degree is required with the attainment of a master’s degree preferred. Must demonstrate excellent leadership, management, communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain confidentiality, have strong multi-tasking ability, and be a self-starter.
3 – 5 years of management and leadership experience in high school or college athletics is desired.
Ability to sit for long periods of time; to perform daily activities from a desk; to operate a computer and various office equipment. Occasional lifting and transporting heavy boxes.
The individual in this position is required to work predetermined evening and weekend special events.
If interested, please forward your resume, cover letter, and completed application by January 14, 2019. The Jesuit Application (Administrative Position) can be found on our website: www.jesuithighschool.org/job
All application materials can be forwarded to:
Jesuit High School
1200 Jacob Lane
Carmichael, CA 95608