COVID-19 Athletics Update: Continuing Athletics at the College Level
NCAA Update 4/1/2020
As most of you know, there have been many moving parts to the NCAA Eligibility conversation over the last few weeks due to COVID-19. I am looking to be a resource for you during this time. I have and will continue to be in contact with Assistant ADs for Compliance at the Division 1 level.
Here are the facts as of now that pertain to COVID-19 decisions
- For all age-eligible Prospective Student-Athletes: Recruiting Dead Period extended through May 31 – No on-campus or in-person recruiting
- All current spring sport Student-Athletes will get an extra year of eligibility
- This will only affect spring sport-student athletes (Track & Field, Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Volleyball, and Lacrosse)
- Next year only: Scholarships for current seniors will not count against the scholarship limit (Division 1), unless the Senior transfers to another school. In that case, their scholarship will count within the scholarship limits.
- Baseball is the only sport where roster limits and equivalency scholarship numbers will be altered (Division 1)
- The option for granting the extra year of eligibility at the current school is up to the coaches and administration at the current school
- It is still undetermined how this will affect all of our current student-athletes
- Each case by sport and team being recruited to will be different. Now more than ever use me as a resource
- A large majority of Student-Athletes may not want to engage in six years of school and decide on their own to move on
For those looking to attend college and showcase camps this summer, please note that as of now no decisions have been made on when these will resume. Once decisions start to be made regarding camps I will link information to this page.
- Continuing to be in contact with Athletic Department staffs and coaches across the country to determine the effect on our Student-Athletes