Tips to Combat Anxiety during COVID-19
Wellness would like to share a description of the unique anxiety we are facing as a community, as a nation, and as a world. This clear description of an invisible threat helps in understanding how we, too, can focus daily on actively calming our nervous system. In this video, Kati Morton, LMFT, states: “Being in a prolonged state of threat can cause us to make bad decisions, start fights, and further isolate or go into a state of freeze.”
So, how can we combat this? She shares 5 direct ways we can assist our bodies and minds.
- Continue to engage with people that are close to us and who feel safe.
- Take action where you can. (Ex. wear a mask, wash your hands, etc.)
- Limit the time you spend online or watching the news.
- If possible, refrain from making large decisions.
- Make time each day to let your body come down. (Ex. Prayer, Meditation, Progressive muscle relaxation, Yoga, Music, Dance, Actively telling yourself you are safe).