Health & Safety Update: Expected Storms & Possible Power Outages
Your health and safety come first, then check in with school
Due to the dynamic weather expected this weekend in the Sacramento Region and possible power outages, Jesuit High School families will be provided critical information about safety and calls to action through the school website and the emergency notification system as needed. Critical information will also be shared via the school’s social media accounts. Please refer to these sources regularly.
Power-related considerations for school operations
Typically, we can continue classroom instruction during short-term power outages. Below are considerations the Administration takes into account when determining whether to close school. The Administration will also check with SMUD regarding any projected downtimes before making determinations to close campus.
- Fire alarms. Function using battery backup for 24 hours.
- Intercom and bells. Limited capacity up to 2 hours.
- Classroom computer and AV. Lose power immediately.
- Employee email and wifi. Limited capacity up to 1 hour.
- Phones. Cell phones will likely function as usual; landlines may be available for up to 2 hours. Please refer to the school website as a primary source of information should there be a power outage.
- Cafeteria. Power outages may interfere with the capacity to cook, serve.
- Heat in classrooms. Some classroom buildings may lose heat.
In the event of cancellation(s)
- At this time, all school operations and events are planned as normal. Please check the school’s website and be alert for email or text updates regarding campus operations and individual events over the course of the week.
- Student-athletes should monitor for emails and/or other communication from individual coaches or the Athletic Department.
- Spectators should refer to the school website for the most up-to-date information.
How students should prepare
- Charge in advance. Charge cell phones and devices fully before arriving on campus.
- Note the bell schedule. Bell schedules are shared at the beginning of the week via The.Week.Ahead email, on PowerSchool, and on our school web calendar.
- Asynchronous work. Check Google Classroom for announcements or assignments.
- Nutrition. Bring lunch and/or snacks, as cafeteria operations may be limited.
Getting to school
Conditions in your particular area may result in unsafe or impassible conditions. Please do not attempt to travel to campus if conditions are unsafe. We ask that a parent or guardian use the online PowerSchool Attendance portal. If you are not able to access PowerSchool, please call the Dean’s Office to report your child’s excused absence.
General safety information
Jesuit Sacramento puts the safety of our students, faculty, and staff first and reminds our community to take precautions. For information on keeping yourself, your family, and pets safe during storms, follow these Stay Safe During Storms updates from Sacramento County.